“The medical team at the hospital praised his protective equipment”

My son too had an accident that made for lesser injuries because of his Leatt Neck brace and other safety equipment.
The accident happened at The Bridgestone Nationals at Penybont, during the 3rd lap of the second race on Saturday 1st August 2015.

Lloyd was pulling through after a bad start and was in around 14th in a very close group and looking strong.

Lloyd cannot remember any of the race or of the race prior but the rider behind him has filled him in on what happened next, this was then confirmed by other riders.

He was going into the back section, around a left hand turn leading to an immediate down hill jump. The back end slid out resulting in the bike landing sideways, highsiding and throwing Lloyd off the bike. The only thing he now recalls is flying off his bike backwards down the hill. The rider behind saw him smash backwards into the floor head first.

The Marshall’s did not see this and Lloyd was unconscious on the track for at least a lap, before coming around and crawling to the side of the track. (Witnessed again by his fellow BW85 competitors)

Lloyd’s Dad and my brother had been watching but not witnessed the accident guessed he had come off in that area, despite there being no yellow flag being flown or waved to indicate a rider down. They frantically made attempts to get down to that area to see where he was and if he was ok.

During the last lap, the second time passing Lloyd riders reported seeing Lloyd crawling slowly to the side of the track and someone in an orange viz vest walking towards him talking on their radio.

Lloyd’s dad saw the blue lights of the medic truck upon reaching the section and Lloyd who was semi conscious being tended to by medics and being placed in a neck brace and on a back board. He didn’t know who anyone was, what had happened or where he was. Complained of pains in his neck, back, head and thumb.

The medical team on track side were outstanding and upon arriving at the the viewing area at the top of the track where I was waiting they filled me in on how he looked and not to be alarmed. I was told they needed a few minutes before I could see him &
when I was led into the back of the ambulance I was so so grateful to see he was conscious. It broke my heart that he didn’t recognise me and was just laying there expressionless but I was reassured that he was having the best possible care, he was being monitored closely (hence all the wires) on oxygen and that an ambulance had been called to take him to hospital.

Lloyd doesn’t remember the journey to Hereford Hospital, or the fact that they had the lights and sirens on. The care he received there was outstanding also. His kit was cut off him. Brain scans were done to rule out a bleed on the brain. X-rays were done to rule out breaks to the neck and back. It was established that he had concussion, whiplash, a black eye, a broken thumb bone and cuts and bruises. Was monitored for quite a few hours after, as was still confused and repetitive.
The medical team at the hospital praised his protective equipment (the ambulance staff showed the Drs his helmet) and said that should he have not had good quality and well fitted gear (Arai MX-V helmet, Leatt neck brace and 5.5 body armour, purchased and fitted by Dave King the UK Leatt rep at Apex, Day In The Dirt late August 2014) his injuries would certainly have been a lot worse. He is a very very lucky boy!
We are now starting the list of things that need to be replaced & things like his brand new kit being cut off him and having to repair his KTM 85 and purchase a new helmet… The expense of which are all irrelevant as you cannot put a price on a cherished life.

12067884_10153179187760098_156219243_n 12080757_10153179194950098_1891145845_n 12084140_10153179187885098_160605524_n


sit amet, quis diam id facilisis