Leatt GPX 6.5 Carbon Helmet Review: Keefer, Inc. Testing
“After testing and really coming to enjoy the Leatt GPX 4.5 gear I was excited to try their GPX 6.5 carbon helmet. For starters, who doesn’t like getting a new helmet and on top of that, it’s a helmet that matched my gear. Leatt has integrated their 360 degree Turbine Technology into this ECE and DOT certified helmet to try and limit injury from rotational forces.”
Keefer, Inc. Testing took our Leatt GPX 6.5 Carbon helmet for a spin to review it. Offering world-class protection with 360 ̊ Turbine Technology, the helmet is both ECE and DOT certified.
Turbines made of an energy absorbing material, are set inside the helmet. This technology has two main advantages, namely the reduction of rotational acceleration to the head and brain and the absorption of energy upon impact at concussion level. It also has a smaller outer shell volume that reduces rotational acceleration, proving that a smaller is better. Our multi-density, V-shaped impact foam is molded directly to the outer shell, making it possible for us to reduce the outer shell size and achieve the highest level of impact protection.
“Fortunately I never got the chance to really test out ALL the safety technology Leatt put into this helmet since I didn’t have a bad crash while wearing it, but here’s what I can tell you. The helmet is small and very light, which is nice because it doesn’t make you feel like a bobble head,” they commented.
Ventilation is another feature that most of us cannot get enough of. Well, look no further. Leatt helmets provide ample ventilation, but most importantly, the vents work at low speeds as well!
“One cool (pun intended) feature of the Leatt is the ventilation. This is the best ventilated helmet I’ve worn in quite some time. Another feature I absolutely love on the V-16 is the hydration hose clip which is built in the chin bar. Instead of having to use a hook and loop strap, or drill holes and zip tie your hydration hose, you can just snap it into the chin bar,” they said.
- Carbon shell in three sizes
- 360° Turbine Technology
- Reduces up to 30% of head impact at concussion level
- Reduces up to 40% of rotational acceleration to head and brain
- Reduced Outer Shell Volume
- A 10% smaller shell, transfers up to 20% less rotational forces to the neck, head and brain
- Multi-density, V-shaped impact foam molded directly to the outer shell significantly reduces G-forces transferred to the head and brain
- New Dri-Lex® moisture wicking, breathable, anti-odor and washable inner liner
- Optimal Neck Brace Compatibility
- Maximized Ventilation Optimized for Off-Road racing and effective even at very low speeds
- Visor with breakaway function for rotational reduction in a crash
- Emergency cheek pad removal
- Hydration ready (with optional hands-free kit)
- Certified and tested: DOT+ECE
- Weight: from 1270g (2.80lbs)
- #XS (53-54cm – 20 ¾ – 21 ¼”)
- #S (55-56cm – 21 5/8 – 22″)
- #M (57-58cm – 22 ½ – 22 ¾”)
- #L (59-60cm – 23 ¼ – 23 5/8″)
- #XL (61-62cm – 24 – 24 ½”)
- #XXL (63-64cm – 24 ¾ – 25 1/5″)
Click HERE to read the full review.